Friday, July 29, 2011

International Urban Sketching Symposium—Lisbon

I am back from attending the Urban Sketching Symposium in Lisbon Portugal. What an amazing experience! I arrived early and spent three days exploring the city, eating the most delicious food and sketching. Then three days sketching with close to 200 very talented people. Lucky me!!!

Sketch Crawl: On the last afternoon of the Symposium we gathered at the Praco do Comercio for the 32nd World Wide Sketch Crawl. People sketching everywhere.

Shopping: I noticed many people wearing Birkenstiocks for walking the steep cobblestone streets of Lisbon so I joined in with a pair of a fashionable black pantent style. The talented Omar Jamarillo was working his watercolor magic with a large squirrel hair brush so I had to give that a try. Maybe I can paint like Omar—HA!

Food: Lisbon has the most delicious food. All of which I would not normally eat. Most meals started with bread, cheese, olives and a dry cured ham called Presunto. When in Lisbon...

Stuff happens: I played hooky from one of the lecture/presentations one afternoon for a delicious cup of coffee in the shade of an umbrella near the school—I needed a pick-me-up. When I walked back in to join the workshops, it was pointed out that I had a huge smudge of something that could be pencil or charcoal on my nose. I wonder how long that was there...

More to come of my amazing trip to Lisbon

11 comments:

Steven said...

Welcome back! Your sketches look great!

Margaret Ann said...

Jennifer...I love the fact that you totally immerse yourself in every aspect of what ever you do...smudges and all...:) I continue to have a love affair with the beauty that your brush and palette create for us.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful work Jennifer - those colours are so rich. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, smudge or no smudge ...
Sue

Linda T said...

Great sketches and wonderful to hear of how the symposium went.

A Brush with Color said...

Wow, Jennifer--it sounds great. I can't wait to see all you did while you were there. Your work never disappoints. Welcome home!!

Dan Kent said...

What a wonderful experience! (And I am not talking about sitting in a cafe' with charcoal on your nose.) I cannot imagine being surrounded by 200 people sketching wow. And your sketches are great!

Deborah said...

I'm envious. I was in the edge of going to Lisbon for the sketch crawl but our annual cruise coincided. I can't complain though; we've been sailing down east and around Mt Desert for the past week and are headed to Penobscot Bay in a couple of days. We're in Northeast Harbor now. I know from following your blog that you too know these exquisite places from the unique perspective of a sailboat. I've not had time to paint; but have lots of photos to work from. Did you sketch/paint while underway cruising?

lyn said...

How exciting! Love the energy in your drawings!
Continued success!

nanke's stuff said...

What a wonderful opportunity, and as always, wonderful sketches. It's always such a pleasure to visit your blog and see your work! nancy

Unknown said...

So beautiful sketches! So glad to meet you on such a great occasion (alas the last day)!

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Like teh sketches a lot, the lines are happy (like you had a great time drawing). My favourite is the feet.