Friday, June 5, 2009

Sampai jumpa Tikus

It's the dreaded packing of the boxes again as we get ready for our trip back to the U.S. After a few hours of that chore, I took a break and sketched, Tikus, my cat named mouse. She is a mighty little thing and quite a character . We have enjoyed having her here and I will miss her. She is going back to Ali's family on Tuesday when Uul puts her back in the rice cooker box and she is placed between his feet on his motorcycle for her 1/2 ride back to Umalas. She is going back home (with a huge bag of crunchies) and she may come back to us when we return in October. She has had a wonderful time here as "kucing manja" "a spoiled cat" and she won't be another Bali pet having unwanted litter after litter.

Sketching my cat in my Moleskine as she sleeps and waits for more attention. Right now she is sleeping in my lap as I am posting these last sketches before I go back to packing. 

I am a huge animal lover and since moving to Bali last October I spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about most of the street dogs and cats. Too many unwanted and unhealthy kittens and puppies for lack of spaying and neutering. I had the opportunity to help this one little cat and I am glad of the choice I made. Hopefully she will have a good, long, healthy life doing what she likes to do the most—sleeping.

7 comments:

laura said...

Your cat sketches are just wonderful, both the colored "portrait" and the pen-and-ink ones; I love the ones of her sleeping, with her arms curled--so universally catlike.
Strays are a problem here too, and so heartbreaking--and the whole problem arise from people's irresponsibility.

A Brush with Color said...

I agree--they're charming sketches. You did your job with one cat there, and that's a lot, Jennifer! If everyone did that, and cared as you do, they would have no problems...so sad. Good luck with the move!

Lydia Velarde said...

I gave you the passion for painting award. You can read about it here:
http://artyvelarde.blogspot.com/
Thanks for inspiring me.
Lydia

Zom said...

I have enjoyed your postings on Bali and your beautiful journal pages.

Margaret Ann said...

Beautiful colored pencil work! :)

bubblemunch said...

Particularly love the moleskine studies.

Anonymous said...

The Bali animals haunt me too. At least Ubud Village Hotel where I always stay have healthy happy ginger cats ( always have had). I enjoyed reading about your cat aclled Mouse (I once had one called Mighty Mouse) and your most recent posts about your dog.